The EESIG was restarted in November 2019. We are a small but enthusiastic group with ancestry/backgrounds in Eastern Europe. We publish four newsletters a year, with one being a theme – such as Christmas or Easter. Our website has a vibrant members section with a brief history of each country which includes genealogy, government and archive websites, and cultural information. We hope to have a few webinars in the near future. Membership is only $5 per year for OGS members.
Our Facebook group has 185 members; it is private and one only needs to answer a few questions to join. We generally spotlight one country each month and also post webinars of interest from other groups about Eastern Europe. Members may post articles of Eastern European interest.
- Family Search Research Wiki is a place to start. From there you can type in a country for detailed information and links https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Poland_Genealogy
- US immigration at Ellis Island https://heritage.statueofliberty.org/passenger
- Immigration into Canada https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/immigration/immigration-records/passenger-lists/passenger-lists-1865-1922/
- A simple Google search country + archives you can find the national archives https://www.archyvai.lt/en/archives/historicalarchives.html
- The Meyers Gazetteer for Prussia https://www.meyersgaz.org/
- Look for national or international country genealogy societies such as https://cgsi.org/
- Jewish background, an excellent choice is https://www.jewishgen.org/
- The foundation for Eastern European studies is a good group to check out https://feefhs.org/
- Of interest today are the Ukrainian archives which can be found at https://archives.gov.ua/en/